Monday, June 30, 2008

R.I.P John Bonetti




I went to CardPlayer to grab a pic of Scotty for my last post, and came across the news of John Bonetti. He passed away this week at his home. He was 80 years old.

One of my first memories of poker involved John Bonetti. In 1999, he finished 2nd to Daniel Negreanu. Bonetti actually had Negreanu all in on the ropes heads up when Negreanu called an all in with a spade draw. Negreanu sucked out on the river with a spade (man, I thought that was the coolest thing) and beat Bonetti who was holding top pair.

I also remember watching replays of the 1993 WSOP Main Event where Bonetti made the final table as well. Betchell, the eventual champion that year, flopped a set against Bonetti's AK which had made top top. They were the two big chip stacks and collided in a perfect storm. (and Betchell made an awesome trap as well)

R.I.P Bonetti, and I'm sorry I never got to take a flop with you...

Damn Donkeys,

Bmore

1 comment:

AltronIV said...

I met Bonetti and actually have a picture with him. I even had a chance to hear him share a few stories. I was truly sorry to hear of his passing, but was glad that I had the chance to meet him.